Friday, September 10, 2010

Just one more thing...

Today I made progress. Teeny-weeny tiny progress, but progress nonetheless.



I didn't have any classes today, so I could for the first time in months spend a day working on my thesis. I'm writing out a section on the collaborations between auteur directors and their regular, trusted actors. It's in Chapter Three, which has been causing me no end of strife, so the one thousand-odd words I enthusiastically created today were a landmark event in a couple of ways. I even managed to feel briefly 'in the zone', when everything just works and the ol' grey matter hums along nicely.

A friend calls her thesis Bob, by the way. I don't have a name (or even an adequate title...) for mine, but I think I'll have to anthropomorphise it a little, and picture it as a sort of Columbo, wryly knowing things without letting me in on them until I've worked a bit harder.

***

Here's an entirely thesis-unrelated matter: saunter on down to PhD in Parenting's latest post Reflections of Motherhood, which features a video of messages women would give themselves if they could go back to before their first children were born. The sentiments are all lovely, but I don't know if I could have been as concise as some of them. I do know what I'd say to myself four days ago, though: "The M&Ms are not safe there."

1 comment:

  1. Well done on your 1000 words!

    It's a lovely video. I started thinking what I would have told myself, and yeah, it's difficult. I wonder if perhaps it's easier after a few years have elapsed? We might still be a bit close to the experience seeing as they are still babies (albiet babbling, m&m-stealing, almost-walking babies).

    ReplyDelete