Thursday, June 2, 2011

Immunity Issues

I completed the first draft of my thesis on Monday. There's still a lot to do, but it is a pretty major milestone. I decided to reward myself by having a couple of thesis-free days, no writing, no researching, nothing. Just a spot of sewing and drinking tea and relaxing.

And then I got sick.

It used to happen with some regularity while I was teaching: as soon as the study breaks came around (and, incidentally, the only times I could properly focus on my own research rather than teaching preparation or marking) my immune system would give itself permission to break down and I would lie in bed for a week feeling sorry for myself, up and about just in time for teaching to start again.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that it would happen again. I do wonder how common this is, though. I can't be the only one whose body reacts to the stress of a PhD with something a little bit more than the standard back pain and head aches...

No comments:

Post a Comment